Samsonite Aeris Spinner XL Review
Have you ever tried to travel with a broken suitcase zipper? Lugging your bag through the terminal, clothes and other things spilling everywhere, just wishing you had time to stop and buy a replacement bag?
These issues and more are why the designers at Samsonite created the Aeris Spinner. The Samsonite Aeris Spinner XL is closed with a locking device rather than a zipper – so that no matter how tightly you pack, you won’t burst your zipper in the middle of catching a taxi. In addition, the Aeris offers lightweight maneuverability and hard-shell durability, packed into a spacious and well-designed package.
Keep reading to find out why the Samsonite Aeris is one of the best suitcases for frequent travellers and tight packers:
Quick Look / Overview
- Lightweight and durable polypropylene material
- Easy grip multi-stage pull handle
- Capacity ranging from light to spacious depending on the size/model
- Mesh divided interior compartment and interior zippered pocket
- Interior cross ribbons to tightly secure items
- Easy maneuverability with 4-wheel design and ridged yet light aluminum frame
- Medium: 68 cm x 49 cm x 28 cm
- Large: 75 cm x 53 cm x 31 cm
- Extra Large: 81 cm x 59 cm x 34 cm
- Shell type: Hard
- Special features: 4-wheel maneuverability, telescopic handle, lightweight
- Material: Polypropylene
- Color Options: Black, Cielo Blue, Red, Vivid Blue
- Weight: 5.40 kilograms (empty of course)
- Volume 118.50 L
- Lock Type: TSA
Durable outer shell
Hardshell suitcases come in a variety of types: outer shells that do very little for the actual durability of a suitcase, hardshells that keep your belongings safe but show scuffs and wear over time, and hardshells that are truly durable. The Aeris falls into this third category.
The Aeris features a top-quality polypropylene for its outer shell. Polypropylene is used in a variety of industries, from plastic chairs to medical devices, and known for its durability. With this suitcase, you can fly at ease knowing that not only will your belongings be protected, but your suitcase will keep its shape and condition even after a long trip.
Single lightweight handle
Believe it or not, much of a suitcase’s weight is in its handle. Handles are frequently made of metals with more weight, and most telescoping handles feature two bars that fold into the back of the suitcase.
Not only do these two metal bars increase your suitcase’s total weight, but they also cause problems when packing. The small bumps inside your suitcase that house the handlebars when they’re folded can be an issue: they will force clothing and other items into unnatural positions, decreasing packing efficiency. If you’re a heavy packer, it’s important to find a suitcase with the best packing efficiency and lowest weight possible.
The Samsonite Aeris Spinner XL solves this problem by featuring a single, hollow, aluminum handle. Without sacrificing maneuverability, this handle disappears into the interior of the suitcase with more subtlety than double metal bars – and it’s lightweight, too. If you’re looking for a traveller-friendly suitcase that will let you bring home as many souvenirs as memories, you need one with a handle feature like the Aeris’s.
Size and color options
As a traveller, you’re unique. Maybe you pack less than your mother, but more than your backpacking friend Troy. Or maybe you prefer to look for a brightly-colored suitcase at baggage claim, instead of trying to sort through fifteen black ones to find the one that’s yours…while your partner prefers to carry a black suitcase that doesn’t stand out from the crowd.
Samsonite’s designers know that you’re unique and have unique travel preferences. That’s why, when they create a suitcase, they don’t just create it in a single color or size: they create it for every personality. The Aeris comes in four very different colors: low-profile black, cielo blue, go-getter red, and vivid blue. It also comes in three sizes: 64.5 L (for up to one-week trips), 87.5 L (for up to two-week trips), and 118.5 L (for trips longer than two weeks).
Because the Samsonite Aeris is offered in a variety of colors and sizes, you can personalize your suitcase to fit your needs. Do you want a vivid blue extra-large bag, or a smaller cielo blue suitcase? Or maybe you need both, for different trips? The choice is yours!
TSA Secure Lock
This spinner suitcase doesn’t sacrifice security. If you’re travelling to the United States, it’s important that you have a TSA-approved lock to clear security. Even though there’s no zipper on the Samsonite Aeris Spinner XL, the bag features a TSA-approved 3-digit combination lock to keep your valuables secure inside.
We love the Samsonite Aeris Spinner XL because it can provide security, durability, and peace of mind for any traveller, and we’re sure you’ll love it too.
Here’s a breakdown of what we thought of this suitcase:
- Durable outer shell resists scuffs and dents
- Single-bar hollow handle keeps maneuverability without adding weight
- Color and size options to fit your personality
- Travellers who tend to pack tightly
- Longer or more sentimental trips, that may end in collecting souvenirs
- Frequent travellers, who want to invest in a suitcase that will last for many future trips
- Largest sizes may not pass weight requirements if filled; it’s hard to fill a suitcase that large with only lighter items
- No subtle outer pocket – you’ll have to completely open the suitcase to retrieve anything during travelling
- Somewhat pricey